Tinga is traditionally served on top of tostadas, but try this spicy and flavorful version on slider buns for a grilling party on Memorial Day!
- Servings 2-4
- 30 mins.
- 1 tbsp. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup medium diced White Onion
- 2 medium cloves Garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground Cumin
- 1 can Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. roughly chopped Chipotle peppers
- 3 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup low-sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked Chicken Breast, shredded
- 2-4 Slider Buns
- Sour cream
- 1 cup Red Onion, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- Ground Pepper
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions have soften up, about 5 minutes. Add cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, chipotle, and apple cider vinegar and stir to combine. Simmer for 5 minutes, season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Transfer sauce to a blender and puree until smooth. Pour sauce back into Dutch oven over low-med heat, stir in chicken stock and shredded chicken into sauce, simmer until it thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and adjust salt to taste.
- Slice buns in half. Spoon tinga into the buns, garnish with red onion, and a dollop of sour cream. Top with a spoonful of sauce.
Serve with a side of our pumpkin seed guacamole!