Learn how to make the classic and delicious ham and cheese roll from Venezuela.
- Servings 2
- 1/2 cup warm Water
- 1 tbsp. rapid rise Yeast
- 4 cups all-purpose Flour
- 1 stick Butter, softened
- 1 Egg
- ¾ cup Milk
- 4 tbsp. Sugar
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 lb. smoked Ham, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded White Cheese
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1/2 cup sliced Olives
- 1 Egg yolk
- In a small bowl, combine your water and yeast. Let rest for about 5 minutes.
- Make a small well at the center of a wooden cutting board with your flour. Slowly pour in the yeast mixture and using your index finger spin along the outer edge of the center of the well to incorporate. Continue slowly adding the milk and eggs until a dough forms. Knead to form a large ball and then add the butter by folding it into the dough as you continue to knead.
- Once the dough is shiny and smooth, place it in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for about 1.5 hours or until doubled in size.
- When ready, cut in half and roll each half out into a rectangle, about ¼ inch thick.
- Layer ham, cheese and olives over the dough, leaving about a ½ inch border along the edges. Roll lengthwise and let rest with the seal down on the board. At this point feel free to decorate the top of your bread any way you’d like using any excess dough you may have.
- Repeat with the other half of your dough.
- Brush each loaf of bread with egg wash. Cover and let rise again for about an hour. About half way through, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake bread for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. After removing, let it cool for about 15 minutes before slicing and serving to guests.
You can also add 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts for a little extra texture.