The modern chutney was born from a mix of Indian spices and chili peppers from the Americas and it’s a popular condiment to enjoy with a ‘picada’, a mix of different cold cuts, cheeses and nuts in Latin America.
- Servings 8
- 30 mins.
For the chutney:
- 1 1/2 Tomatoes
- 1 Green Apple
- 1/2 Purple Onion
- 1 Chile Jalapeño
- 4 Cardamom seeds
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1 cup Coriander
- 3 Cloves
- 1 tbsp. Peppercorns
- 1/2 cup Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
For the picada:ProsciuttoBrie CheeseDry SalamiRoquefort CheeseLeberwurstCamembert CheeseFontina CheesePrunesOlivesAlmondsBlack OlivesPistachiosVarious Nuts
- Chop the onion, grate the apple and cut the tomatoes into cubes.
- In a pot, with a drizzle of olive oil, brown the onion along with the spices, add the apple, tomatoes and salt.
- Cook 5 minutes and add the vinegar, let evaporate a little and then add the sugar.
- Cook for 40 minutes over low heat. Allow to cool and store in a sterilized jar.
- Cut the cheeses and cold cuts, accompany them with bread, nuts and the chutney.
Chutney is a great and delicious spread for sandwiches and can be used as season for meat, poultry and fish.