Try this beef empanadas recipe for an easy to make and heart healthy version of the tipical beef empanadas your "mamá" made.
- Servings 10
Our heart healthy beef empanadas recipe will amaze your taste buds with a flavor you’ll never forget.
- Empanada Dough
- 4 tbsp Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1 white onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp dry oregano
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1 tsp teaspoons of ground cumin
- 2 tsp achiote powder/ or paste
- 1 lb ground beef, lean
- 1⁄4 cup green olives, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cooking tools to make a great empanadas recipe
- Cutting board
- Chefs knife
- Medium/ large saute pan
- Pastry brush
- Sheet tray
Beef empanadas recipe
- Heat 4 tbsp of Mazola® Corn Oil in a large saute pan, add diced onions and garlic. Cook until the onions are soft, add oregano, cumin, achiote, and salt and pepper to taste and let cook for 2 minutes. Next add the ground beef, stir and cook until the meat is cooked through. Let the beef filling cool down completely before using to fill the empanadas, about 5-7 minutes.
- Time to assemble! Place a generous amount of beef filling on the center of each empanada disc.
- Fold the empanada discs and gently seal the edges with your fingers and/ or with a fork.
- Preheat the oven to 380 degrees. Place the beef empanadas on a baking sheet, lightly greased and lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the empanadas with Mazola® Corn Oil and bake the beef empanadas for about 20 minutes, or until golden on top.
Try making your beef empanadas with puff pastry for extra crunchiness.
If your empanadas explode, maybe you are putting too much filling in them. Another trick to keep your beef empanadas from exploding while baking? Before putting them into the oven, use a fork to poke a couple of tiny holes in each of them. This will ensure that the steam produced by the filling heating up will get a way out of the beef empanada, instead of fighting for a way to get out of your firmly sealed beef empanadas.
Serve your beef empanadas with a green salad on the side, dressed with Mazola® Corn Oil. Traditionally, for empanadas argentinas, many serve them with a side of Chimichurri sauce, which you can also make by mixing the dry ingredients with Mazola® Corn Oil.
Many wonder “is it better to bake or fry empanadas?”: both ways of making the empanadas recipe will result in delicious beef empanadas, and with Mazola® Corn Oil you will be guaranteeing 2 times less cholesterol. We do recommend baking them over frying to get a “lighter” meal.
Want to try more empanadas recipes? Check out these.
This beef empanadas recipe is brought to you by Mazola®