This French staple dessert is popular in countries throughout Latin America, and you can learn to make it here!
For the dough:
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 3 sticks Butter
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 tbsp. Sugar
- 1 Egg
- Cold water, as needed
For the filling:
- 3 cups Water
- 1 Lemon
- 6 Granny Smith Apples
- 1 cup Sugar
- 4 tbsp. Butter
- Lime zest
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Make a pie dough by hand incorporating the flour, butter, egg, salt and sugar. Use cold water as necessary until the dough is workable but non-sticky. Reserve and chill for 20 mins.
- Juice a lemon in 3 cups of cold water. Quarter the apples and soak them in the water for 30 mins.
- Make a caramel with 1 cup of sugar and 4 tbsp. of butter. Pour the caramel in a cake mold coating the bottom evenly.
- Dry excess water from the apples and place them circularly on top of the caramel, make sure to keep them tight.
- Cut pie dough to fit cake mold. Use a fork to make small openings and place on top of the apples.
- Bake for 35-40 mins at 325°F until the dough is golden and crisp.
- Allow to cool at room temperature, quickly and carefully invert the mold.
Serve warm or cold with lightly whipped cream and lime zest.