An easy and quick vegetarian alternative to fried calamari. Perfect for sharing!
- Servings 2
- 1 can of hearts of Palm
For the batter:
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ½ cup of milk
- ¼ cup of water
- Start by making your batter. Add your eggs to a mixer or bowl and beat. Add all dry ingredients. Add half the water and mix on medium speed. Add the other half of water as needed until you have a smooth consistency with no chunks. Set aside.
- Add oil to frying pan and heat on medium-high temperature.
- Remove hearts of palm from the can. Set onto paper towel to dry. Slice into 1-2 inch rounds or rings.
- Set a plate alongside the frying pan and line with fresh paper towels.
- Coat the hearts of palm with batter and fry until golden brown. Remove from the pan using a perforated spoon and set onto plate with paper towels.
Add these tasty fritters to a salad instead of croutons for added texture.