These traditional beef empanadas are easy to make and a great option for a party platter. This empanada recipe comes from Argentina
- Servings 12
- 2 Onions
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 2 lbs. Ground Beef
- 5 boiled Eggs
- 1 cup chopped Olives
- 1 tbsp. Paprika
- 1 tbsp. Cumin
- 1 tbsp. Ground Chili
- Empanada or Pastry dough in rounds
- Chop the onions, then brown them on butter on medium heat in a skillet.
- Add paprika, cumin and chili to season.
- Cook the ground beef with the seasoned onions and reserve.
- Add the chopped olives and boiled eggs, mix together.
- Place a spoonful of the filling in a round of pastry dough.
- Fold the dough, sealing with water along the edge.
- Bake for 15 mins. at 375°F
- Your beef empanadas are ready! Let cool before serving.
Beef Empanadas Recipe Pro Tips
Serve the beef empanadas with a generous side of fresh chimichurri and green salad.
What is usually in an empanada?
Empanadas come in a variety of flavors: Beef empanadas, chicken empanadas, spinach, ham and cheese and varios vegetables. An empanada is a type of baked or fried turnover consisting of pastry and filling, common in Southern European, Latin American, Indonesian and Filipino cultures. The name comes from the Spanish verb empanar, and translates as “enbreaded”, that is, wrapped or coated in bread.