Rosca de Reyes
Celebrate the arrival of the Three Wise Men with this delicious ring-shaped cake. Whoever gets the baby doll will have to cook tamales and host a party for Candelaria Day in February!
- Servings 1 Cake
- 5 hours
- 1 envelope of Active Dry Yeast
- 1/4 cup warm Water
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp. granulated Sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup warm Milk
- 1 cup softened Butter, divided
- 4 ½ cups Flour, divided
- 5 eggs, divided
- 3 tsp. ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 4 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1/4 softened butter
- 1 tbsp. Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. Sugar (brown would work better)
- 1/2 cup Confectioner’s Sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- Candied dried fruit, Quince and Guava Ate.
- Plastic Baby doll.
- Mix yeast over 1/4 cup of warm water in small bowl, stir in 2 tbsp. of granulated sugar, let stand for 5-10 minutes or until foamy. Separately mix 1/3 cup of warm milk with 1 cup of butter until butter is completely melted.
- Mix 2 cups of flour, remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 4 eggs, 2 tsp. of cinnamon and salt in a large mixing bowl with dough hook, mix for 1 minute. Add yeast mixture and butter mixture, add vanilla. Beat 2 minutes, gradually add 2 cups of remaining flour, beat for 2 more minutes. Dough should be soft.
- – Turn out dough onto floured surface, knead about 5 minutes.
- – Place dough in a buttered bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place the bowl in a warm spot, such as inside microwave or oven TURNED OFF.
- Let dough stand for 2 hours until is almost doubled in size.
- Beat remaining ¼ cup butter and confectioners sugar in medium bowl with electric mixer, add remaining ½ cup of flour, ¼ cinnamon and egg yolk, beat until it forms a smooth paste, divide in 6 equal pieces, set aside.
- -Mix butter, cinnamon and brown sugar
- Place dough over a floured surface and punch down to remove air, knead a few times then shape into a ball. Roll dough into a 40 in. long by 2 in. wide ring, brush the butter cinnamon mixture on top and twisted to make it swirl into the dough.
- Place on a large parchment paper covered baking tray, bring ends of dough together to form an oval, press to seal, cover with plastic wrap and let it stand for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven 325°F.
- Beat remaining egg until well blended. Place baby doll inside the dough ring.
- Brush dough with beaten egg, roll pieces of confectioners sugar mixture into 3 in. long strips, arrange strips decoratively on dough ring.
- Garnish with quince paste and candied fruit pieces as desired.
- Bake 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown.
The traditional way is to serve the rosca with a foamy cup of hot chocolate. Try our recipe to pair them up!