This exquisite fat-free cake is a masterpiece in baking, from our guest Chefs Shelly Gilad and Jocelyn Brent of Shelly’s Humble Kitchen.
- Servings 1 cake
For candied lemons:
- 3 lemons
For the cake:
- 1 cup Olive Oil + 1 tbsp.
- 1 cup Cane Sugar
- Powdered Sugar
- ½ cup Lemon Juice
- 4 medium Eggs
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour (plus more for pans)
- 4 tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 1 tbsp. Lemon Zest
- 1-2 sprigs of Rosemary, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Slice lemons as thinly as possible, place on baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake until lemon rinds are golden brown. Set aside.
- Grease an 8-inch round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, gently combine the olive oil, sugar, lemon juice and eggs.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, lemon zest and rosemary, stirring until smooth.
- Pour batter into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.) Remove from oven and let cool.
- Run a sharp knife around the edge of the cake helping it to separate from the side of the pan, then release the cake onto a serving plate.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and decorate with the candied lemons.
A recipe brought to you by our guest Chef Shelly Gilad from Shelly’s Humble Kitchen
Serve with a scoop of Vanilla ice-cream.