Cookie-baking time! Make these delicious molasses gingerbread cookies, inspired by the Mexican ‘marranito’ cookies.
- Servings 15 cookies
- 1 ¼ cups Brown sugar
- ½ cup Vegetable shortening
- 1 ½ tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 ½ tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp. Vanilla
- 1 ½ cup Molasses
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup Milk
- 4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together brown sugar, shortening, baking soda, cinnamon and vanilla until the mixture forms a firm paste.
- Add, mixing after each addition until blended, the molasses, egg and milk.
- Gradually add the flour, mixing to form a dough; Roll dough out to about 1/4 inch thick; cut with a large gingerbread man-shaped cutter; place each cookie on a sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a cup or small bowl, beat egg; using a pastry brush, paint tops of cookies lightly with beaten egg.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until browned.
Dunk them in a cup of our hot Mexican chocolate recipe!