Ever seen a more impressive, gorgeous and delicious vegan apple tart? Wait until you try it!
- Servings 4-6
- 1 hr. 20 mins.
For more dessert recipes, click here!
For the Tart Base
- 14 oz. package Puff Pastry, only half of it defrosted in fridge overnight
- 3 large or 4 medium Granny Smith Apples
- 2 tbsp. Cane Sugar
- 2 tbsp. Coconut Oil, cold, cut into small bits + extra for greasing the baking dish
- Pinch of salt
- 4 Cardamom pods, crushed
For the Vegan Salted Caramel Glaze
- 1/4 cup Cane or Coconut Sugar
- 1 tbsp. Coconut Oil
- ¼ cup almond or coconut milk
- A tiny pinch of salt flaky sea salt (or half as much table salt)
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Grease a pie or tart dish. Roll out the pastry over the dish and press it gently to fit it in. Use scissors to trim the edges then gently press it again to perfectly fit the dish. Brush the dough with coconut oil then sprinkle it with salt and cardamom. Gently press the cardamom and salt into the dough.
- Peel the apples and cut them in half through the stem. Remove the stems and cores with a paring knife and a melon baller. Slice them crosswise in about 1/4 in. thick slices. Arrange the in circle, each apple should overlap the one before so that only about 3/4 in. of the previous apple will be visible, until you reach the middle. Sprinkle the apples with the sugar then dot with the coconut oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the pastry is browned and the edges of the apples start to brown.
- Meanwhile make the caramel glaze. Put all the ingredients of the glaze in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and cook for 3-5 minutes, constantly stirring until you get a bronzed caramel syrup. Set aside until needed.
- Transfer the tart to a cooling rack, but leave the oven on. Gently brush the apples (better to start from the center up, not to mess the design of the apples) and the entire tart, including the exposed pastry, with the salted caramel glaze.
- Return the apple tart to the oven for 5 to 10 more minutes, until the caramel glaze bubbles.
- Let tart cool a bit before serving.
Pro tips for the best Apple Tart
Once is at temple temperature, scoop a vanilla ice cream on top!