Try this easy marinade made with pickled veggies to accompany your favorite meat.
- Servings 1
- 30 mins.
- 2 medium Carrots, peeled, greens removed, cut into 1/2-inch-thick spears
- Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 orange Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 white Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs Rosemary
- 2 sprigs Thyme
- 14 oz. Green Papaya, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch-thick spears
- 2 Jalapeños, cut into 1/2 inch thick spears
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- Freshly ground Black Pepper
- Scrub the carrots well, removing any dirt or tough skin. Place the cleaned carrots in a large pot of salted water until bright orange, about 2 minutes; drain and run under cold water until cool.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add bell peppers, onion, and herbs and cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add carrots, papaya, jalapeño, vinegar, and 1 1/4 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are crisp-tender but soft, about 5 minutes. Season with salt; let cool.
- Using a pair of tongs, arrange vegetables upwards. Pour liquid until they are well covered.
- Let cool, cover and chill.
Escabeche can be eaten right away as a side for your tacos. Escabeche can be made 2 weeks ahead, keep refrigerated.