This healthy and soulful tortilla soup using only plant-based ingredients is the creation of our guest Chef Jocelyn Ramirez from Todo Verde.
- Servings 5
- 1 Ancho Chile, washed, destemmed, and deseeded
- 1/2 cups Veggie Broth
- 1/2 lb. Tomatoes
- 1/2 Jalapeño, 1/8 inch dice
- 2 tbsp. Canola Oil
- 6 tbsp. Corn Kernels
- 1/2 cup Zucchini, 1/4 in. dice
- 1/2 cup Bell Pepper, 1/4 in. dice
- Pinch Cumin
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 tbsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- 6 tbsp. Cashew Crema, garnish
- 1/2 medium Avocado, sliced garnish
- Tortilla Chips, garnish
- Preheat medium pot to medium heat.
- Add ancho chiles to dry pot to toast both sides until slightly blackened. Once blackened, remove chiles from pot and add to a bowl with 1/2 cup water to rehydrate.
- Add whole tomatoes to the pot, and char on all sides. Once charred, remove from the pot and allow to cool.
- Once tomatoes have come to room temperature, place into blender with rehydrated chiles and blend until smooth. Add water from rehydrated chiles if needed.
- Add canola oil to the pot, and add corn, zucchini, jalapeño and bell pepper. Stir until all ingredients are sauteèd.
- Add tomato mixture, remaining water from rehydrated chiles, cumin, bay leaves, salt, and pepper to the pot. Stir once, place lid over pot slightly ajar, and allow all ingredients to simmer on low heat for 25 mins.
- Finish soup with 2 tbsp. of cashew crema and mix in for creamy consistency.
- Add soup to individual bowls and top with a tablespoon of cashew crema, 2 avocado slices, and tortilla chips.
Visit TodoVerde.org for more information about Jocelyn’s dishes.