The Alfajor Rogel Cake is a traditional Argentinian recipe (with equally delicious versions in Chile and Uruguay) that will definitely sweeten your afternoons.
- Servings 8
Ready to level up your Alfajor cookie game? Try this Alfajor Rogel cake!
- For the Pastry:
- 7 egg yolks
- ½ cup of Mazola® Corn Oil
- 5 tablespoons of milk
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- For the filling:
- 2 pots of dulce de leche
- For the Swiss meringue:
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup of sugar + ½ cup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of water + 3 tablespoons of warm water
How to make the Alfajor Rogel Cake
- First, preheat your oven to high heat (400 degrees).
- In a large bowl whisk the egg yolks, the Mazola® Corn Oil, and the milk.
- Using a spatula (or your hands!), fold them into the flour until you get a smooth dough.
- On a floured surface, keep kneading until the dough is very smooth.
- Split the dough into 12 individual rolls.
- Take one and roll it very well (2-3 mm) using a rolling pin. Place a dinner plate or cutter over the dough and, with a knife, cut the excess pastry.
- Place on a cookie sheet (no need to grease it) and stick it with a fork a few times.
- Bake it in high heat for 3 minutes until it is lightly golden.
- Keep rolling the dough, cutting off the excess, placing the discs on a cooking sheet and baking them for 3-4 minutes individually.
- If your oven allows to bake several at a time, great!
- Set the discs aside once baked.
- Mix the sugar with the water and the lemon juice in a pan until it dissolves at 240.º Reserve the rest of the sugar for later. Remove from the stove.
- Whisk the eggs whites with an electric mixer adding the rest of the sugar until it becomes firm. Add the warm water and keep mixing until the egg whites are firmer and the base of the bowl is at room temperature (and not warm as when we removed it from the stove).
- Set aside until it’s time to assemble the cake.
Assembly of the Alfajor Rogel Cake:
- Place one disc on a serving plate and spread some dulce de leche. Keep layering disc and dulce de leche, until the last once is left without the dulce.
- Spread the meringue on top of the last layer and decorate it.
- Enjoy your Alfajor Rogel Cake with a cup of warm café con leche or some iced latte!
This recipe is brought to you by Mazola®.
Did you like this recipe? Check out more delicious and wholesome desserts and cakes here!
Please note that:
Very limited and preliminary scientific evidence suggests that eating about 1 tablespoon (16 grams) of corn oil daily may reduce the risk of heart disease due to the unsaturated fat content in corn oil. FDA concludes that there is little scientific evidence supporting this claim. To achieve this possible benefit, corn oil is to replace a similar amount of saturated fat and not increase the total number of calories you eat in a day. One serving of this product contains 14 grams of corn oil.
Corn oil is a cholesterol-free food that contains 14g of total fat per serving. See nutrition information on product label or at www.mazola.com for fat and saturated fat content.