The classic Hannukah doughnuts made easy to celebrate and enjoy at home with family!
- Servings 2-4
- 1 tbsp. Active Dry Yeast
- 2 tbsp. Sugar, plus ½ tsp. Sugar (plus more for rolling)
- 1 large Egg
- ¼ tsp. ground Nutmeg
- 4 cups Vegetable Oil (for frying)
- ¼ cup Warm Water
- 1 ¼ cups All-Purpose Flour (plus more for dusting)
- 1 tbsp. Soft Butter
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 cup Jam, Strawberry, Raspberry and Apricot preferred
- In a small bowl combine yeast, warm water, and ½ tsp. sugar. Wait ten minutes.
- Place flour in a large bowl with a well made in the center. In well add yeast mixture, 2 tbsp. sugar, eggs, nutmeg, butter, and salt. Mix with a wooden spoon until a dough forms then knead with your hands until completely mixed. Put dough on a well floured surface and knead until dough bounces back (about 8 minutes) add more flour if necessary. Place in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic. Let sit at room temperature for about 1 to 1 ½ hours, until dough has doubled in size.
- Roll out until about ¼ inch think and punch out rounds about 3 inches in diameter. Let rise, about 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in an appropriate pan until it registers at 370°F. Fry on each side until golden brown, about 40 seconds per side. Remove with a slotted spoon. After about 1 min. roll hot doughnut in a bowl with sugar.
- With the jelly either use a pastry bag or simply cut doughnut in half and smear jelly.