This fragrant rice pilaf is a delicious and healthy dish that can be enjoyed on its own or as an easy side.
- Servings 1-2
- 45 mins.
- 1 large Onion, or 2 small ones
- 1 large Carrot
- 1 sweet Potato
- 2 tbsp. Canola or Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp. Turmeric
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- ½ cup Golden Berries or Raisins
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 cup brown Basmati Rice, or plain Brown Rice
- 1 cup Quinoa
- Toasted Almonds, crushed
- Handful Cilantro, chopped
- Olive Oil
- Dice the onion, carrot and sweet potato.
- Put the oil in a large skillet over medium-heat. When the oil is hot add the onion, turmeric and cinnamon stick and saute until the onion is translucent. Stirring occasionally, don’t let the onion burn. If the heat is too high, lower it a bit.
- Add the carrot, sweet potato and golden berries and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the salt, rice and quinoa and stir for 1 minute.
- Add 3 cups water and bring into a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pot then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat but wait 5 minutes before you open the lid.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.
Sprinkle crushed almonds, cilantro and a drizzle of olive oil.