Looking for a great homemade chicken soup recipe that you can make from scratch? Look no more: this Chicken Soup with Tomatillo and Avocado brings all the feel-good sensations of the classic chicken soup and is full of Latin flavors.
- Servings 4
This easy homemade chicken soup will warm up your Fall and Winter nights.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE HOMEMADE CHICKEN SOUP WITH TOMATILLO AND AVOCADO
- 3 tablespoons heart healthy* Mazola© Corn Oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound tomatillos
- 1/2 pound chicken breast
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 1 can of Hominy
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook for ten more minutes
- 2 cups of red cabbage, sliced
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño
- ½ cup of cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 lime
HOW TO PREPARE THE HOMEMADE CHICKEN SOUP
- For your Homemade Chicken Soup, start by heating 3 tablespoons of heart healthy* Mazola© Corn Oil in a medium pot.
- Add the chopped onion and sliced garlic, and then cook, covered, until the ingredients are softened.
- Add to the mix the already pureed ½ pound of tomatillos, the chicken breast, the chicken broth, 1 can of drained hominy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the soup to a simmer, and then cook, covered, until the chicken breast is cooked through and tender.
- Shred the chicken breast on a cutting board with 2 forks. Return it to the pot and cook uncovered for 10 more minutes.
- Remove the Homemade Chicken soup with Tomatillo from the heat and stir in chopped cilantro. This is the perfect time to adjust seasoning!
- Serve the Homemade Chicken soup with Tomatillo into bowls and garnish with the chopped cilantro and cabbage, the thinly sliced radishes and avocado, and squeeze the juice on 1 lime on top lime.
This easy homemade chicken soup is perfect to make with leftover chicken breasts.
How do you add flavor to chicken soup? This Homemade Chicken Soup with Tomatillo and Avocado is already filled with aromatic and playful flavors, but when serving, you can also add sour cream, tortilla chips and more jalapeños for extra spice!
Do you cook the chicken before putting it in soup? You don’t need to in this case, but remember to make sure it is well cooked (and tender!), before shredding it and putting it back to the soup pot for 10 more minutes.
This recipe is brought to you by Mazola©. Check out more heart healthy* recipes here!
*Very limited and preliminary scientific evidence suggests that eating about 1 tablespoon (16 grams) of corn oil daily may reduce the risk of heart disease due to the unsaturated fat content in corn oil. FDA concludes that there is little scientific evidence supporting this claim. To achieve this possible benefit, corn oil is to replace a similar amount of saturated fat and not increase the total number of calories you eat in a day. One serving of this product contains 14 grams of corn oil. See www.mazola.com for information about the relationship between corn oil and heart disease.