Want to bake an apple pie from scratch and not end up with a soggy, mushy apple pureé? Follow this easy homemade apple pie recipe and worry no more!
- Servings 8
- 2 hours
Looking for the best homemade apple pie recipe? Click here to learn how to make an apple pie from scratch.
- For the pastry:
- ¼ cup of Mazola® Corn Oil + 2 tablespoons
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ½ cup ice water
- 1 egg
- For the filling:
- 2 tbsps. lemon juice
- 1 lb of green apples
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- Egg wash
How to make a Homemade Apple Pie
- Mix flour, salt, baking powder and sugar in a bowl.
- Add the Mazola® Corn Oil, and mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine the water and the eggl.
- Pour the liquid ingredients.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board and divide it in half.
- Wrap each dough ball in a plastic wrap and refrigerate them until they’re ready to use.
- In the meantime, add lemon juice to a large bowl of water in which to place the apples to avoid browning.
- Then wash, peel and slice the apples into ½ inch sized slices. Place them in the lemon water. Also let one lemon cut in half.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon and flour.
- Scoop the apples out of the water and drain them. Then add them to the sugar mix and stir well.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Roll one pastry ball into a 12 inch circle. To prevent sticking, use plenty of flour. Lift and turn the dough frequently. Fold it onto a rolling pin and transfer it to a pie plate.
- Pour the apple mix into the pastry.
- Then roll out the remaining dough.
- Cut it into 1 inch strips and place them over the apples: first from left to right, then perpendicular to the first strips, making a “crossboard” pattern.
- Just a quick tip! Moisten the edge of the pie shell with water to ensure a tight seal.
- Whisk together the egg and water. Use a pastry brush to evenly coat the top strips of the pie with the egg wash.
- Bake the homemade apple pie at 425°F for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375°F and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly before serving so the filling sets a little.
This recipe is brought to you by Mazola® Corn Oil
Liked this recipe? Check out how to make more pies and sweet treats here!
Please note that:
Very limited and preliminary scientific evidence suggests that eating about 1 tablespoon (16 grams) of corn oil daily may reduce the risk of heart disease due to the unsaturated fat content in corn oil. FDA concludes that there is little scientific evidence supporting this claim. To achieve this possible benefit, corn oil is to replace a similar amount of saturated fat and not increase the total number of calories you eat in a day. One serving of this product contains 14 grams of corn oil.
Corn oil is a cholesterol-free food that contains 14g of total fat per serving. See nutrition information on product label or at www.mazola.com for fat and saturated fat content.