This fragrant and easy fideo soup is a staple in many Mexican homes as comfort food.
- Servings 2-4
- 20 mins.
- 2 tbsp. Canola Oil
- 1/2 Small Onion, sliced
- 3 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1/2 large Jalapeño
- 1 pack Vermicelli
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 can Tomato Sauce
- Queso Fresco
- Fresh Cilantro
- Slice onion thinly and set aside. Crush garlic with palm of hand and add to onion.
- Heat oil in a small pot. Once oil is hot add onions and sautee. As onions become soft and translucent add crushed garlic and jalapeño. Allow garlic to brown lightly and jalapeño to toast.
- Once onions and garlic become fragrant remove jalapeño and discard.
- Stir in fideo and toast on high heat until noodles start to brown. Pour chicken stock into the pot and begin cooking noodles, about 6 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Next add tomato sauce and finish cooking, another 3 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot in a bowl with queso fresco and cilantro sprigs as garnish.
You may also garnish with sliced avocado.