Feeling nostalgic for some of your childhood memories and flavors? Or maybe you want to try this famous Cuban meal? This Ropa Vieja recipe will transport you to La Habana. The aroma when you start stirring the meat, onions and peppers in the pot is unique.
- Servings 4
- 3 hours
This Ropa Vieja recipe will amaze your senses.
Cuban Ropa Vieja Ingredients
- 2 pounds brisket or flank steak
- 4 tablespoons of Mazola© Corn oil
- 1 onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Black pepper
- Peeled tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup green olives
- Cilantro or parsley, white rice
How to prepare the Cuban Ropa Vieja
- Preheat the oven to 250º F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of Mazola© Corn Oil in a pot over high.
- Cook the meat, turning occasionally, until browned on both sides, 5–7 minutes per side.
- Cook the onion, bell peppers, and salt, in 2 Tbsp. of Mazola © Corn Oil, stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to brown.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently and scraping bottom of pan, until vegetables are golden brown, 3–5 minutes.
- Add wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until evaporated.
- Add paprika, oregano, cumin, black pepper, and cayenne until vegetables are coated; continue to cook, stirring, until spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and coarsely break up with a spoon (they’ll continue to break down as they cook).
- Bring the mix to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced by half (about 5 minutes(.
- Add the meat into the tomato mixture and add bay leaves on either side.
- Cover it and transfer it to the oven.
- Braise the roast and vegetables until the meat is very tender and shreds easily (2½–3 hours). Let cool the Ropa Vieja for 15 minutes.
- Using 2 forks, tear and smash the meat into the sauce until it’s shredded and incorporated into it.
- Stir in olives.
- Serve the Ropa Vieja in plates topping it with cilantro or parsley.
- Serve your Cuban Ropa Vieja with rice and maduros and enjoy!
Want to see more delicious recipes you can prepare if you have Mazola© in your pantry? Check them out!
This recipe is brought to you by Mazola©.
Very limited and preliminary scientific evidence suggests that eating about 1 tablespoon (16 grams) of corn oil daily may reduce the risk of heart disease due to the unsaturated fat content in corn oil. FDA concludes that there is little scientific evidence supporting this claim. To achieve this possible benefit, corn oil is to replace a similar amount of saturated fat and not increase the total number of calories you eat in a day. One serving of this product contains 14 grams of corn oil.
Corn is a cholesterol-free food that contain 14g of total fat per serving. See nutrition information on product label or at www.mazola.com for fat and saturated fat content.