Reinvent your candy apples with a spicy touch and a layer of black caramel. Kids and adults will love them equally!
- Servings 4
- 50 mins.
- 4 Granny Smith Apples
- 4 Lollipop Sticks
- 2 tbsp. Corn Syrup
- 2 tbsp. Water
- ½ cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- ½ tsp. Cinnamon
- Pinch of Salt
- Black Food Coloring
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- ½ cup Chile Powder
- Insert lollipop sticks into the center of your apples. Set aside.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Prepare your chile powder in a medium-sized bowl.
- In a small sauce pot, combine your corn syrup, water, and sugar. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the caramel is slightly brown.
- Remove from the heat and add the heavy cream, cinnamon, salt, and food coloring. Mix well. Add as much food coloring as needed to give it a dark black shade. Lastly, stir in your butter.
- As soon as your caramel is ready, holding the stick, dip your apples. Don’t be shy! Spin them on the way out of the pan to remove any excess. Hold over the pan until dripping subsides and immediately transfer onto a baking sheet. Repeat with all your apples.
- Dip your caramel covered apples into the chile powder. Place back onto baking sheet and place the baking sheet in the fridge for 45 minutes, until caramel is entirely set.
Try replacing the caramel with chamoy—a sour sauce traditionally served with fruit in Mexico—for even more flavor.