This cold almond soup is a Spanish classic that is simple to make and yet, so elegant!
- Servings 4
- 30 mins.
For the Soup:
- 3 cups Stale Rustic Bread
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 3/4 cups blanched skinless Almonds (marcona almonds)
- 2 3/4 cups Ice-Cold Water
- 2 medium Garlic Cloves
- 3/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus a little extra to garnish
- 2 tbsp. Sherry Vinegar
- Pinch of salt
For the Garnish:
- 8 grapes
- 12 almonds
- Drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Remove crusts from bread and tear into pieces. Soak the bread in milk for 10 minutes. Squeeze out excess milk and blend with almonds and a dash of water until finely ground.
- Slowly add the water, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, sherry vinegar and a pinch of salt. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a dish and refrigerate until very cold, for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.
- Serve cold. Garnish with peeled grapes (cut in half), almonds and a drizzle of olive oil.
If the soup is too thick for your taste, add cold water to adjust consistency. Feel free to get creative with garnish; while this is the classic recipe some chefs use apples, melons, cucumbers and more.