Last year certainly changed our perspective on baking. Many of us have found ourselves spending more time in the kitchen than we were used to, preparing meals for the whole family. Every single day. At the same time, lots have found trying new baking recipes to be therapeutic during this challenging time.
Baking can be both a distraction and a great activity to fill in the time. Read on to find amazing good-for-you baking recipes with Mazola® Corn Oil you can try!
If you decided to take up baking during the winter…
You are not alone!
Locking yourself in the kitchen together with a recipe book is not just a hobby for those with extra time on their hands. Baking can be mindful and relaxing. Here is why:
- It’s a form of meditation. Simple repetitive activities are often the ones that calm you down the most. While baking, you can concentrate completely on the process, which acts as a form of meditation.
- It stimulates creativity. Many clinic psychologists have noted that baking and cooking can be a great stress reliever. Immerse yourself in the creative process by baking a recipe you have always wanted to try.
- It makes you and your loved ones happy. The foods you bake can be a pleasant surprise for your family and friends. Nothing improves the mood more than sharing a delicious pie or brownies over a cup of tea with your loved ones.
3 great recipes to start (or continue) your baking adventure!
For these recipes, you can use corn oil which is naturally cholesterol-free** and it’s very versatile. Having a high smoking point, corn oil is also great for handling the heat in the kitchen without generating toxic fumes or negatively affecting food’s flavor.
Without further ado, let’s dive into some delicious and healthy baking recipes with heart healthy* Mazola® Corn Oil this winter season.
Baked Tortilla Chips
Most tortilla chips are fried in a pan, resulting in high content of trans and saturated fats. This baked tortilla chips recipe uses Mazola® Corn Oil with the same traditional taste.
- Corn tortillas
- Mazola® Corn Oil (as needed)
- Kosher salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Brush the tortillas with Mazola® Corn Oil on both sides. Place them in a stack and use a sharp knife to cut them into triangles.
- Place cut tortillas on two baking sheets in a single layer. Make sure they are not overlapping. Sprinkle them with salt to taste.
- Bake until crisp and golden brown.
- Wait for the chips to cool – they will become crispy. Serve with salsa, guacamole, or eat them plain.
Gluten-Free Vegan Brazilian Cheese Breads
This light vegan version of traditional Brazilian cheese bread is impossible to resist!
For 24 breads:
- ½ cup Mazola® Corn Oil**
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup potato starch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella-style vegan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Brush a 24-cup mini muffin pan with Mazola© Corn Oil**.
- Stir flaxseed meal and water together in a small bowl. Let it stand for about 5 minutes until thickened.
- Combine potato starch, tapioca flour, and baking powder in a food processor bowl. Blend until well combined.
- Add vegan-style Mozzarella cheese and mix well. Mix in almond milk, flaxseed mixture, and corn oil and blend with the processor until a uniform batter forms.
- Spoon batter into the mini muffin tin, filling each ⅔ to the top.
- Bake the cheese breads until lightly golden and puffy, for about 20 minutes.
With their crispy exterior, but creamy and tender interior, these baked plantain slices are absolutely irresistible.
For 8 portions:
- 4 very ripe plantains
- ¼ cup Mazola® Corn Oil
- ½ teaspoon flaked sea salt
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and place the rack 6 inches from the heat.
- Diagonally slice the plantains and toss them together with Mazola® Corn Oil and kosher salt.
- Spread plantain slices in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake plantains for 15 minutes, turn them over and continue roasting for another 15 minutes until the slices are soft and evenly cooked.
- Increase oven temperature and broil plantain slices for another 1-2 minutes until deeply golden.
- Sprinkle flaked salt and serve warm!
Benefits of Mazola® Corn Oil**
Not all cooking oils are made the same. If you are looking for baking recipes don’t ignore the type of oil used in a recipe. Choosing healthier vegetable oils such as corn oil over butter results in a lower concentration of saturated and trans fats and a higher concentration of healthier fats.
Here is why corn oil should be your way to go when baking:
- Naturally cholesterol-free.** Corn oil is a heart-healthy* oil, making it a perfect ingredient for healthy home-cooked meals for the entire family.
- High smoking point. Many people don’t realize that different types of cooking oil have different smoke points which should never be exceeded. Corn oil has a high smoke point of 450°F, which means that it can handle the heat in the kitchen without generating toxic fumes or negatively affecting food’s flavor.
- Multi-purpose. Corn oil** is a perfect ingredient for a variety of home-cooked meals. It can be used for grilling, baking, sautéing, or mixing up a dressing or marinade.
- Neutral taste. Corn oil has a neutral flavor, which means that it won’t interfere with the natural taste of your favorite ingredients.
Use the Opportunity to Explore New Corn Oil Recipes
The global pandemic may be a difficult time to cope with, but, on the other hand, it may be a great opportunity to take up baking or try out new baking recipes with Mazola® Corn Oil.
These simple recipes combine Latin American traditional flavors, quick preparation times, and healthy ingredients. Give them a try!
*Very limited and preliminary scientific evidence suggests that eating about 1 tablespoon (16 grams) of corn oil daily may reduce the risk of heart disease due to the unsaturated fat content in corn oil. FDA concludes that there is little scientific evidence supporting this claim. To achieve this possible benefit, corn oil is to replace a similar amount of saturated fat and not increase the total number of calories you eat in a day. One serving of this product contains 14 grams of corn oil.
**Corn oil is a cholesterol-free food that contains 14g of total fat per serving. See nutrition information on product label or at www.mazola.com for fat and saturated fat content.